Reference Librarian/Technology Specialist
Ela Area Public Library District
Are you passionate about technology? Do you enjoy teaching tech in one-on-one and group settings? Are you ready to use your innovative ideas and 21st century library skills? If so, this may be the position for you! The Ela Area Public Library is looking to fill a full-time Librarian/Technology Specialist position in our Adult Reference Department.
The Ela Area Public Library is a progressive and customer service focused library located in the community of Lake Zurich. The dedicated and fun-loving team in the Adult Reference Department provides a wide range of services including non-fiction reference, technology assistance, and collection development. Rated multiple times as a Five Star Library by Library Journal, we are dedicated to delivering innovative services that will address our community’s emerging needs.
- Perform reference and non-fiction reader’s advisory services.
- Assist and instruct patrons with library technology, including computers, tablets, Virtual Reality equipment, and Digital Media Lab equipment.
- Provide one-on-one technology help appointments on a wide variety of technology topics as patron demand requires.
- Participate in collaborative management of the Reference Department’s technology resources, including maintenance, policies, and training.
- Create and conduct computer classes for public and staff; assist in management and planning of the Library’s adult computer class program.
- Collection development and management in designated areas: select, order, and weed library materials.
- Requirement: MLS from an ALA accredited institution.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of technology applications relative to public library reference services.
- Ability to conduct training and do presentations. Strong knowledge of Windows, MS Office programs, MacOS, Android and iOS devices, and the Internet required.
- Working knowledge of current library practices and procedures.
- Spanish, Polish, or Chinese language skills a plus.
- Work and communicate effectively with staff and the public.
- Set priorities, make independent decisions, and exercise discretion with patrons and staff.
- Work effectively both independently and as a team member.
- Follow through on tasks to completion.
- Learn additional computer application programs.
- Troubleshoot computers and other devices.
- Work effectively and patiently with all age groups.
- Demonstrate attention to details.
Starting Salary: $42,224 annually, full time, night and weekend availability. Excellent Benefits.
If you are interested in joining the Ela Area Public Library District and meet the job requirements described above, please email your cover letter and resume to our Human Resources Department at email@example.com.
* The Ela Area Public Library District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, or national origin.
Part-Time Security Monitor
Ela Area Public Library District
The Ela Area Public Library is seeking an energetic individual to serve as a part-time Security Monitor. This position is responsible for helping to maintain a welcoming atmosphere for all library visitors. The ability to work as part of a team with a positive attitude even when dealing with problems is highly desired (Posted 7/13/17).
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Makes routine inspections of the interior building and exterior grounds to maintain the safety and security of all library patrons, property, and staff.
- Continually observes activity in the library and on library property to maintain an appropriate environment consistent with the library’s policies. Completes Incident Reports as needed.
- Follows established procedures and assists with vacating, closing, and securing the building.
- Provide excellent customer service and hospitality
- Communicate positively, clearly & effectively with all age groups
- Work independently
- Anticipate potential disruptive behavior and take preventative action
- Maintain composure under stress
- Interpret Library policies & procedures to the public
- Stand for long periods of time
- HIgh school diploma or equivalent
- At least two years working with the public where problem solving was required
- Basic computer skills
- Previous experience working in a library environment preferred
- Spanish, Polish, or Chinese language skills a plus
Position Hours: 13 hours per week. Monday 4:00pm-9:00pm, Tuesday 4:00pm-9:00pm, and Friday 3:00pm-6:00pm. Ability to stay beyond closing hours if necessary.
Salary: $13.91 per hour, depending on qualifications
If you are interested in joining Ela Area Public Library District and meet the job requirements described above, please complete the PDF application, save it to your computer, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
* The Ela Area Public Library District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, or national origin.